Saturday, July 24, 2010

Gee + Podcasts.... a reflection.

I walked out of class frustrated yesterday. and the frustration had many factors:

  • it was excessively humid
  • my shoes had given me a blister
  • i thought i was going to be late for the bus
  • i had to do my podcast 8 times because i was OCD about background noise and flubbing my words
  • i came into the last part of class late (shout out to Scotty for the chair... thanks Sport)
  • i have tried to use google reader before and havent liked it, so I was not super psyched about learning how to use it.
whew. I feel better.

The podcasting was more troublesome than I thought it would be.  Once I figured out how to load the music, it was better but it was still an interestingly complicated process. On the other hand, I am excited for how I can use this in a classroom, and really appreciated the points Kristen brought up about how to use the podcasts in different ways, both as a consumer and a creator.

I appreciated our conversation in Jeff's class. I really feel like he calls us to think higher order...ly? The discussion on the symbol story was really interesting to me because I felt like I just did it sort of automatically... but in the discussion, realized how much thought and prior knowledge really went into it. 

Google reader... im still on the fence. to some extent I feel like I enjoy going to an actual blog and reading it there -- seeing the lay out of their site, poking around, etc. Its almost like having a newspaper vs. online news in a way; I feel like I have the "real thing" when I visit a blog, vs the amended (as it, not as visually appealing) version on reader.  While I see the usefulness if you are reading a bunch of blogs or have your twitter tied to it, for my needs right now, I'm not sure its vital.

Grace&Peace,
Emily

4 comments:

  1. I'm with John -- I see you're awesome bamboo when I come to comment, but I only knew to come to comment because I've got Reader set up to show up to show we when a SMACer updates (giving me a handy excuse to pause in summarizing my quantitative article :).

    My problem with an Reader is different -- in grad school (the first time) I got to the point where I was following about 200 too many blogs, and I could procrastinate a whole day just reading all the fascinating stuff out there. It took me a long time wean myself of that addiction, and I need to not fall into it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, "your awesome bamboo". Good thing I'm not an English teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Emily-
    You are so coherent in your descriptions of the technologies that I feel you blog is a must-read, since you have so much prior knowledge and experience (Powerpoint expert and all). I, as a technophobe-ish older person (although that's no excuse), am terrified of Google Reader, and for some of the same reasons as both you and Emily- I am afraid I will be smothered by the extra content, and won't read the things I really need to see, in lieu of the data I don't find pertinant. The same things happen with email, if you're on too many lists, and sometimes there are too many and not enough time, and things get deleted by accident. The procrastination effect is a wicked snowball.
    I also liked Jeff's class, especially his way of introducing concepts of how students may not have similar prior knowledge, and therefore may not be able to use technology in the same way (at least that was one of the concepts). The class was such a hurried one , though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Google reader sort of seems like someone put the vastness of the internet all on one page. But not in a good way. When I was looking at how much info was in Kristin's, I panicked a little bit. I guess it's good that we're learning now which tech things we have an affinity for and which things make us hyperventilate. This should make classroom activities much smoother.

    ReplyDelete